MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University men's basketball team cruised to a commanding 91-51 win over Becker College Friday night in the team's 2018-19 season-opener. The Cardinals, who were led by Antone Walker's 21 points, advance to the Championship Game of the annual Herb Kenny Tip-Off Tournament (sponsored by the Red Lion Hotel Cromwell) and will play Western New England tomorrow at 3 p.m. in Silloway Gymnasium.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan was impressive early and jumped out to a 13-0 lead in less than four minutes of play as the Cardinals went 3-for-4 from downtown during the stretch.
- They continued to increase their lead and another three-pointer from Walker gave Wesleyan a 20-2 lead at the 14:03 mark.
- The Cardinals held a 52-23 lead at the break as Walker led all players with 16 points. As a team, they shot 52.6% (20-38) from the floor and 46.7% (7-15) from behind-the-arc.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- It was a similar story in the second half as the Cardinals continued to pull away.
- With 16:43 remaining in regulation, a layup by Jordan Bonner gave the home team a 31-point lead.
- Wesleyan outscored the Hawks 39-28 in the final 20 minutes of regulation en route to the huge win.
- Freshman Sam Peek scored 10 points in the second half on 4-of-6 shooting including 2-of-3 from downtown.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Five players scored in double-figures for Wesleyan while Bonner posted a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Austin Hutcherson scored 12 points as well and dished out a game-high six assists.
- In addition to Peek's 10 points, freshmen Gab Ravetz registered five points and four assists, and Joe DeLollo pulled in nine boards with four points in their collegiate debuts.
- Kareem Davis and Byron Salfran both scored 10 points to lead Becker. Jamir Carr had a team-high seven rebounds and Mekhi Chester led the squad with two assists.