SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. – Nikki Gerjarusak scored once and assisted on two goals to help lead the Wesleyan field hockey team to a 5-2 victory over Mount Holyoke College Tuesday night on the road.
The Cardinals outscored the Lyons 3-0 in the second half en route to the victory. Colleen Carrigan scored the game-winner in the third quarter as Wesleyan improved to 3-2. With the loss, Mont Holyoke dropped to 2-3.
- Wesleyan came out strong to start the game and took a 1-0 lead just under seven minutes into play as Gerjarusak found Amy Schaap for the score.
- A minute and a half later, the visitors increased their lead when Leah Ewers found the back of the net. Neither team would score the rest of the quarter as Wesleyan held a 2-0 advantage after the first 15 minutes of action.
- It was a different story in the second as the Lyons outscored Wesleyan 2-0 to even the score. In the opening minutes of the quarter, Kass Lawrence cut the deficit to one with an unassisted marker and four minutes later, Margaret Robb tied the game.
- Robb's goal proved to be the final score of the half as the teams entered the break tied 2-2.
- Early in the third quarter, Wesleyan's Colleen Carrigan found the back of the net to put the visitors back on top. The Cardinals eventually led 3-2 entering the fourth.
- With 10 minutes remaining in regulation, Gerjarusak gave Wesleyan some insurance with an unassisted tally and then sealed the win with an assist to Erica Horowitz with 1:19 to play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals outshot Mount Holyoke 26-15 and held an 8-7 advantage in penalty corners.
- Wesleyan goalie Delaney Wood improved to 3-2 in net as she saved six shots. Morgan Turner recorded 10 saves in goal for the Lyons.
- The Cardinals return to action Saturday, Sept. 21 as they play on the road against No. 7 Bowdoin at 11 a.m. The following day, Sunday, Sept. 22, they return home to host No. 20 Colby at 12 p.m.