Posted: Sep 11, 2018
MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – Wesleyan's Olivia Baglieri scored her first career-goal en route to the Cardinals' (2-1) 3-0 triumph over Roger Williams (2-2) on Tuesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wesleyan took advantage of an extra-player situation at the 25:47 mark of the first half. Nikki Gerjarusak faked to the right of Hawks' goalkeeper Callie Flanagan, before burying the ball in the bottom left corner to make it 1-0.
- Just five minutes into the second stanza, the Cardinals had a chance to score, but a charging Roger William's Flanagan denied Colleen Carrigan's shot.
- The Cardinals tacked on another tally at the 45:39 mark when Carrigan dribbled around the right side of the circle before finding the back of the cage.
- At the 55:06 mark Wesleyan looked to add another goal when Carrigan sent a great throughball to Maddie Shea, but a Hawk defender thwarted Shea's opportunity.
- Wesleyan took advantage of a penalty corner during the 56th minute to make it 3-0. After Shea stopped the corner, she dished the ball to Baglieri on the left side who found the back of the cage for her first-career goal.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- The Cardinals held a slight edge in shots (15-12), while Roger Williams had a 7-5 advantage in penalty corners.
- Wesleyan goalkeeper Delaney Wood was forced to make just two stops in goal for the win, while Flanagan had seven saves for the Hawks.
- The Cardinals will entertain Bowdoin on Saturday at noon.