TUCSON, Ariz. – The Wesleyan baseball team (3-7) dropped its first game of a doubleheader series to Grinnell 10-4, before triumphing 9-5 in the second game against the Pioneers (3-6) of the series.
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- Wesleyan's Alex Cappitelli walked, Andrew Kauf hit a single and Danny Rose walked to load the bases, before a single by Andrew Keith drove in two runners for the 2-0 lead at the top of the first.
- Grinnell answered in the bottom of the first when Quinton McNitt and Riley Guieb crossed home plate on a single by Julian Cabrera, before Carson Gampell touched home for the 3-2 edge.
- The Pioneers added four runs in the bottom of the second for the 7-2 advantage.
- In the bottom of the third, Matthew Inaba hit a double to drive in Daniel, before scoring himself on the next play for the 9-2 lead.
- The Cardinals got one run back in the fourth when a double by Jake Alonzo drove home Cappitelli to make it 9-3.
- Grinnell added a score in the bottom of the fifth, before Wesleyan's Cappitelli touched home in the top of the sixth, but the Cardinals were unable to make up the deficit as the Pioneers cruised to a 10-4 victory.
GAME 1 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Pat Clare suffered the loss on the mound, allowing seven runs on four hits over one inning of work.
- Keith went 4-4 with two RBI, while Alonzo hit a double and had an RBI.
- Ryan Chang earned the win for Grinnell allowing three runs on eight hits over three innings.
- McNitt went 2-3 with two RBI, while Cabrera and Inaba each had three RBI.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Cappitelli doubled, before touching home on a triple by Kauf. Ryan Earle hit a double on the next play to drive home Kauf, before scoring on a single by Danny Rose.
- Wesleyan added one run in the bottom of the second when AJ Garcia crossed home on a single by Keith.
- The Pioneers tallied a lone-run in the bottom of the fourth when Jared Booth scored on a fielder's choice to make it 5-1.
- The Cardinals extended their lead to 9-1 in the bottom of the sixth. Adam Geibel touched home on a single by pinch hitter Tanner Fulkerson, before Fulkerson stole second and Cappitelli walked to load the bases. A single by Keith drove home Nick Valicenti, before Cappitelli scored on a sacrifice fly by Earle.
- Grinnell threatened in the top of the seventh when McNitt singled to drive in Kory Czajkowski. A homer by Gampbell on the next play scored three runners, but that was as close as the Pioneers could get, as Wesleyan hung on for the 9-5 win.
GAME 2 – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Dan Lombardo earned the win for the Cardinals, allowing four runs on eight hits including seven strikeouts over six innings of work.
- Earle went 2-3 with two RBI and a double, while Keith went 2-4 with three RBI and a triple.
- Grinnell's Charles Carr suffered the loss allowing five runs on eight hits over four innings.
- Gampbell went 2-4, with a homer, a double and three RBI.