TUCSON, Ariz. – The Wesleyan baseball team opened it's 2019 campaign on Sunday evening, falling to St. Thomas (Minn.) 11-3. The Cardinals had a quick turnaround and were outlasted by Carthage 14-8 on Monday.
ST. THOMAS VS. WESLEYAN HIGHLIGHTS:
- Trailing 1-0 in the third, Andrew Kauf hit a two-run double to put the Cardinals up, 2-1.
- St. Thomas scored five runs on four hits in the third and fourth innings, including a two-run triple from Sam Cobbs, as the Tommies led 6-2.
- In the eighth inning, St. Thomas opened the game up with five runs on five hits, taking an 11-2 lead.
- An RBI triple from Wesleyan's Alex Cappitelli in the ninth made it an 11-3 final.
ST. THOMAS VS. WESLEYAN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Cardinals Cappitelli and Chase Pratt were each 2-4 with a triple.
- Wesleyan's Kauf was 1-3 with a two-run double.
- Dan Lombardo threw two innings of scoreless relief for the Cardinals.
- For the Tommies, Cobbs and Ryan Lust each recorded two RBI and a triple.
CARTHAGE VS. WESLEYAN HIGHLIGHTS:
- An RBI single by Kauf gave the Cardinals a 1-0 lead in the first.
- Trailing 5-1 at the top of the third, Wesleyan's Kauf hit a home run to drive in Pratt and Cappitelli, cutting the deficit to one (5-4).
- Carthage made it a 9-4 game in the bottom of the fourth when Myles Farley hit a two-run homer.
- Down 10-5 at the top of the eighth, Cardinal Ryan Earle hit a double to drive home Kauf and Pratt, making it 10-7.
- Carthage recorded three tallies in the bottom of the eighth to make it 14-7, before Kauf drove in a run in the ninth for the 14-8 final.
CARTHAGE VS. WESLEYAN – INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Wesleyan's Kauf went 4-6 with a homer, five RBI and two runs scored.
- Cardinal Earle recorded a double, triple and two RBI.
- Danny Rose went 3-4 with a double for Wesleyan.
- For Carthage, Farley recorded a double, a homer and four RBI, while Klein went 5-5 with a double and two RBI.
- The Cardinals will play a doubleheader against Nebraska-Wesleyan on Tuesday, with the first game beginning at 12:30 p.m.