NASHUA, N.H. - Playing their third game on the day, and second game against Trinity, the Wesleyan University baseball team was eliminated from the NESCAC Tournament by the Bantams, who defeated the two-time defending champions by a 10-4 score.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wesleyan would load the bases in the top of the first inning thanks to three walks by Trinity starter McLane Hill, but they were unable to push a runner across the plate.
- Trinity would get a run across in the bottom of the first as Daniel Pidgeon singled to score Nick Pezzell.
- The Cardinals put their first two batters on in the top of the second, and a sacrifice bunt by Eric Jones '16 would put them in scoring position. Guy Davidson '16 would take advantage, as he laced a 2 RBI double to left center to give Wesleyan a 2-1 lead. After a walk to Jordan Farber '16, Hill would exit the game and was replaced by Erik Mohl, who would get Matt Jeye '18 to line out to end the inning.
- Ethan Rode '17, who got the start for the Cardinals, gave up five straight hits to begin the bottom of the second. Cooper Moone's single would tie the game at two. Johnny Stamatis would single to score two more runs for Trinity to give them a 4-2 lead. That would end the day for Rode, as he would be replaced by Asher Young '17.
- Trinity's sixth straight to being the bottom of the second would score another run to bring their lead to 5-2. The Bantams would score another run to increase their lead to 6-2 after two innings of play.
- The Bantams would score two more runs in the bottom of the fourth to extend their lead to 8-2.
- Farber would lead off the top of the fifth with a deep double to left center, which just missed clearing the wall, but the Cardinals would not be able to capitalize on the lead-off double.
- Trinity would score two more runs in the bottom of the sixth on a single by Ricky Spencer to increase their lead to 10-2.
- Down to their last at-bats, Andrew Keith '19 would lead off the ninth with a double to left and would score on a triple by Farber to make the score 10-3. Farber would score on a sacrifice fly by Jeye to bring Wesleyan to within six at 10-4. Mohl would get Baratta to lineout to center to end the game and give Trinity the 10-4 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Keith went 3-5 on the day with a run scored.
- Farber went 2-3 with an RBI while Davidson added two RBIs.
- Pidgeon went a perfect 5-5 at the dish with 2 RBIs and two runs scored.
- Mohl would earn the victory as he went 7.1 innings, allowing two runs while striking out two and walking none.
- Wesleyan finishes the season with a 23-12 overall record.
- Trinity will return to action tomorrow as they will face Tufts University at 10 a.m. for the NESCAC Championship.