PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Wesleyan University volleyball team (2-0) opened its 2017 campaign with back-to-back 3-0 sweeps against Wheaton College and Gordon College, respectively, during day one action at the Johnson and Wales Invitational.
MATCH 1 HIGHLIGHTS VS. WHEATON:
- In their first match of the season, the Cardinals sealed the sweep with wins of 25-16, 25-16, 25-11 to hand Wheaton (5-1) its first loss of the year.
- Wesleyan was very efficient as a team, as it hit .216 in the first set, .306 in the second and an incredible .480 in the third with 13 kills and one assist.
- In her first collegiate match of her career, freshman Robi Frederick led all players with eight kills, while her classmate Phia Bellizzi posted a match-high 22 digs. Frederick added 10 digs as well, and Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 dished out a match-high 20 assists. Nicole Hilton '20, Stasie Litinsky '20 and Harper Graves '21 each totaled seven kills, and Gabby Bennett '20 added six with a .455 hitting percentage.
- Wheaton was led offensively by Claire Cansler with seven kills and Becca Houghton with 19 assists. Julia Palomba and Stephanie Martin recorded 12 and 11 digs, respectively.
MATCH 2 HIGHLIGHTS VS. GORDON:
- The Cardinals followed up with a commanding victory against Gordon (2-4), in which they cruised to wins of 25-13, 25-8, 25-13.
- Frederick and Bellizzi once again led all players with 11 kills and 14 digs, respectively. Frederick was incredibly efficient with her attacks, recording a .688 hitting percentage without committing an error, and added seven digs.
- Muraoka-Robertson dished out a match-high 19 assists, and Hilton registered eight kills with a .500 attack mark, while also tallying five blocks (three solo, two assisted).
- The Fighting Scots were led by Jamie Tafoya's five kills, and Ashlyn Gergins' nine assists. Jenny Curtiss also posted a team-high eight digs.
- Wesleyan will play Bridgewater State tomorrow on Court 1 beginning at 12 p.m., and will face Maine Maritime shortly after scheduled for 2 p.m. Bridgewater State lost both matches tonight, with a 3-0 defeat against Wheaton followed by a 3-2 loss against Maine Maritime, who lost its nightcap against Johnson & Wales (3-0).