Tournament: 2016 ITA Regional Championships
Host: MIT (Cambridge, Mass.)
Format: 64 singles players; 32 doubles teams
The Lead: Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19 of the eighth-ranked Wesleyan University women's tennis team continued their dominance at the ITA Regional Championships this weekend as they went a combined 9-2 in singles action, and 5-0 in doubles play to defend their title in the opening tournament of the 2016 season. Additionally, Chong reached the finals in the singles bracket.
- Chong, the reigning ITA singles champion, entered the tournament as the No. 1 seed. On Day 1, she defeated Julia Brogan of Trinity 6-0, 6-0 in the first round and Sarah Shadowens of Bowdoin, 6-3, 6-4 in the second.
- The junior won two more matches on the second day to advance to the semifinals. After defeating Camille Smukler of Amherst, 6-4, 6-1, Chong swept Lara Rakocevic in the semifinals, 6-0, 6-0.
- The semifinal matchup featured a rematch of last year's regional singles championship between Chong and teammate, Yu. Chong came away victorious with wins of 6-1, 6-1 to advance to the finals, where she was defeated by second-seeded Juli Raventos of Williams, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Raventos is the only singles player to defeat Chong during her collegiate career.
- Yu, the sixth-seed, reached the semifinals by defeating Isabelle Garvanne of Wheaton (6-1, 6-4) and Ayame Yazawa of Mount Holyoke (6-0, 6-0) on Day 1. The following day, she claimed two more wins over ninth-seeded Mia Gancayco of Williams (6-3, 6-0) and her teammate, and also seeded ninth, Giulia McDonnell Nieto del Rio (6-4, 4-6, 6-3) to advance to the semifinals on Day 3.
- Nicole McCann '18, Helen Klass-Warch '18 and Julia Kim '20 also competed in singles action. McCann won her first round match over Ching-Ching Huang of Mount Holyoke, 6-2, 6-1, before falling to eighth-seeded Vickie Ip of Amherst, 6-2, 7-5. Klass-Warch lost her first round match to Carina Chen of Wellesley, 6-3, 6-2, and Kim dropped her first round match to Shadowens, 7-6 (5), 6-2.
- Chong and Yu earned the No. 2 seed in doubles action. The dynamic duo won its first and second round matches over Danielle Mandel and Amarie Settiwongse of Nichols (8-1), and Elizabeth Erbafina and Bella Stone of Bates (8-2). On the following day, they claimed an 8-3 win over McDonnell Nieto del Rio and Sydney Myong before earning an 8-3 win over Jackie Calla and Avery Wagman of Amherst to advance to the finals. On Sunday, Chong and Yu claimed the doubles title with a thrilling 8-6 win over Raventos and Linda Shin to reclaim their title. They are now 10-0 in the ITA Regional Championships.
- Kim and Klass-Warch faced Hannah Atkinson and Chloe Henderson of Williams on Day 1, and fell to their Little Three rivals, 8-4.
BEYOND THE RESULTS:
- With the win in the doubles bracket, Chong and Yu both earn All-America doubles honors for the second consecutive season.
- Chong and Yu will look to defend their ITA national doubles title when they head to the Palmetto Tennis Center in Sumter, S.C. Thursday, Oct. 13 for the ITA National Small College Championships. The four-day tournament ends Sunday, Oct. 16.