MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The No. 7 Wesleyan University women's tennis team was edged by No. 4 Bowdoin College Sunday afternoon inside Bacon Field House by a score of 5-4.
Wesleyan: 3-2, 0-2 NESCAC
Bowdoin: 8-1, 2-0 NESCAC
- Eudice Chong '18 and Aashli Budhiraja '18 claimed the only doubles match for the Cardinals. The duo defeated Joulia Likhanskaia and Tiffany Cheng, 8-2.
- Singles action was even at 3-3.
- Chong defeated Likhanskaia in the No. 1 position by scores of 6-1, 6-4.
- Budhiraja and Dasha Dubinksy '18 took No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively. After dropping the first set, 7-5, Budhiraja responded with wins of 6-4 and 10-8 to take the match over Maddie Rolph.
- In the No. 6 spot, Dubinksy also recovered from a 1-0 deficit. Falling 7-6 in the first set to Samantha Stalder, the sophomore claimed a thrilling match with wins of 7-5 and 16-14.
- Wesleyan is back in action Sunday, April 10 and will host Little Three rival and No. 2 Williams beginning at 10 a.m.
- Bowdoin heads back to the courts Wednesday, April 6 and will head to Bates for a 4 p.m. match.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- The No. 1 singles match between Chong and Likhanskaia was a rematch of the 2015 national championship, in which Chong claimed a thrilling 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 victory to claim Wesleyan's first-ever NCAA Division III tennis title.