Score: Wesleyan 66, Washington & Lee 61
Records: No. 17 Wesleyan (10-0); Washington & Lee (1-7)
Location: Daytona Beach, Fla.
Date: Tuesday, December 20
Time: 6 p.m.
The Lead: The Wesleyan University men's basketball team – which earned its way into the top-25 D3hoops.com Poll this week with a No. 17 ranking – increased its win streak to 10 games as the Cardinals rallied in the second half to defeat Washington & Lee, 66-61 in Daytona Beach, Fla.
FIRST HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Cardinals opened the game on a 4-0 run behind back-to-back lay-ups from Joseph Kuo '17 and Kevin O'Brien '19, respectively.
- Wesleyan led for the first 5:29 of the game until a basket by Clayton Murtha at the 14:31 mark gave the Generals a 10-9 advantage.
- The game went back-and-forth throughout and a jumper by Andy Kleinlein with 1:47 on the clock proved to be the last field goal of the half.
- Murtha added a free throw seconds later with :58 remaining to give Washington & Lee a 35-30 halftime lead.
SECOND HALF HIGHLIGHTS:
- The second half was a similar story.
- With 13:49 remaining, a lay-up by JR Bascom '18 gave Wesleyan its first lead since the 11:48 mark of the first as the Cardinals went ahead, 44-42.
- Washington & Lee regained a lead less than a minute later after a three-pointer by Nicholas George, however, Wesleyan responded with a 9-1 run capped off by a lay-up from Nathan Krill '18 with 10:41 to play.
- The Generals then went on a 9-1 run of their own and took a 57-55 lead after a free throw from Devin Kearns.
- The final 5:02 of play featured three ties and one lead change.
- With 1:38 remaining, a lay-up by Kuo put the Cardinals up for good, 63-61, as Salim Green '19 and Jordan Sears '18 hit free throws down the stretch to seal the 66-61 victory.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Kuo led all players with 18 points on 8-of-14 shooting and also grabbed five rebounds. O'Brien grabbed a team-high nine boards, and Andrew Gardiner '19 and Krill joined Kuo in double-digit scoring with 13 and 11 points, respectively.
- The Generals were led by Murtha and George. Murtha finished with a double-double as he scored a team-high 14 points and grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds. George finished with 13 points on 3-of-6 shooting from downtown.
- The Cardinals, who remain perfect this season with a 10-0 mark, outrebounded Washington & Lee, 47-32, and outscored the Generals in the paint, 34-22.
- Tuesday's game featured eight ties and 10 lead changes.
- Wesleyan is back in action tomorrow, Dec. 21 and will play No. 4 Marietta College at 6 p.m. in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- The Generals return to the court tomorrow as well and will play King's (Pa.) at 8 p.m. in Daytona Beach.